Sunday, January 16, 2011

Start Young

Whatever excites you as a child will excite you as an adult. For example, I saw this childrens skateboard last night and for the mere 30 seconds that I stared at it, it forced me to realize and connect my passions as a child to my current passions as an adult. No matter what city, country, ethnicity or even socio-economic background you are from, just embrace it and enjoy everything you do and never regret any of it. Be involved in your city so you can influence I into and inspire that little kid who stares at you in awe. Afterall, we know that we make the city, because we are the city.

This little booger colored board reminded me of Modern Life Is War's Witness album (specifically D.E.A.D.R.A.M.O.N.E.S., track 5) that was released in 2005. First, I cannot wrap my mind around the fact that it was six years ago. And lastly, it is still one of my favorite records of all time. Anytime they came to town, they generally played at Lemp Neighborhood Arts Center in South City and was filled with skaters, moshers, musicians, artists, poor, rich and everyother type of kids you could possibly think of. Granted the building is hot and shows cost as much as a medium pizza from Dominos which may or maynot help the touring bands pay for gas to the next show, but it was these perks that made it worth it. I found my niche with hardcore music and I know that nothing will ever take me away from something that means the world to me.

Bottom line: do not tell me that punk is dead. As long as cities will continue to exist, angry punk kids will still make up the population of these cities....and get Witness!

a little punk rock goes a long way. we out here.