Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Hyde Park -St. Louis by F. Burke

"As one of the residents... said, “other people have wondered why I haven’t left, and I say, 'Why should I? I’m fine here'. The neighbors look out for each other, and I like the house and neighborhood. There is a nice mixture of people, from the poor to the college educated and well-off. That’s important to me. I don’t want to live in just a homogeneous upper-middle-class area.”"

I found an article that one of my professors wrote about Hyde Park in North St. Louis near downtown. Professor Burke made me appreciate and comprehend the importance of documenting the lifestyle of not only the people but as well as the life of the neighborhoods and buildings within them. At a glance, she is a small woman with a short boyish haircut, but when she speaks - you become amazed by her use of words and vast knowledge of relevant information.

Since you're going to be snowed in, you might as well take the time to read the article. It's worth it.

Flannery Burke - Hyde Park, St. Louis: Are We Almost There Yet?