Friday, December 3, 2010

INTERVIEW: ASHLEY JANIECE

OUT HERE WITH ASHLEY JANIECE

First, question where are you from?
Im From Detroit [born] and raised in Kalamazoo, Michigan.

How long have you been singing for?
I have been singing since the age of 4


So you think you can sing…naw just playin you got skillz….how did you get into muzik?


I got into music because my mom and dad, aunts uncles and entire fam always played music around me. My mom danced (contemp & classical ballet) so she was a big music junkie herself and was my main influence.


How is the muzik scene where you are from?

The music scene in my current location is very mixed, I love a diverse & mixed up community.


Your single “LOVE IS NOT WHAT IT SEEMS” has a powerful song title how did you come up with the concept for this song?

For the song "Not what it seems" I came up with it through listening to the beat 1st. Sometimes i like to listen to a beat and meditate with the beat, see how it makes me feel, and in doing that I just close my eyes and listen to the beat the entire way through.



Since we are on the topic of relationships….i want to ask you….how you feel about relationships in the 21st century do you think it is possible to be with the same person for 30 plus years….considering the high divorce rates in America?


And as far as relationships/love in the 21st century..and couples lasting for up to 30 years...man..it feels hopeless.. I want to believe in love and ever-lasting/solid bonds between people, but it seems like people are just interested in having sex and having no strings attached. but i still believe in love and relationships, I just think its a rare breed out here, and the idea of love and relationships is still out there, but its slowing becoming an extinction.


An OG with three and a half gold teeth told me one day as I was standing at the bus stop….that black women are less likely to get married and more likely to get divorced ….from a female’s perspective do you feel like this statement is true?

As for the "OG" who said "that black women are less likely to get married and more likely to get divorced"... I think its a sad statement..because if that's the case, what does that say about our black men? if there's any truth to his OPINION, he's part of the problem..because for every black man who can't commit, for every man who can't seem to keep his dick in his pants and stop makin babies all over america, or leaving blk women for other races (which I am NOT against..love comes in all colors)..but for all those reasons I have..for every black woman who gets divorced..there IS a BLACK man in that equation. So before he thinks there's truth to that statement, he needs to re-evaluate his facts.

Do you have any other passions? What

Do I have other passions? Oh yes! I love to cook, i love home decorating, painting, drawing and photography/modeling

Let’s get back to muzik…what artist do you feel have influence you the most? WHY

The artist who have influenced me the most, are Erykah Badu and Jill Scott because they sing about REAL issues in the world, plus love, BLACK love and their sound is very organic and natural. Also Janelle Monae, because she isn't afraid to be DIFFERENT and she's bold and very versatile.


I see you got a couple of songs on the net…when can we expect the full album? …I’m goin to need a free copy…ya dig

Yes, i have a few songs on the net, As far as when there will be a full album? Im hoping by sometime in the winter of this year. but who knows, life always throws a curve ball at you. hopefully my music fam/team stays together and school/work won't take me away too much from my music. and yes you can get a free copy lol.

Thanks for doing this interview….last question what does the statement “WE ARE THE CITY” mean to you?

You are most welcome on the interview! its a pleasure and I thank you for taking interest in me and my opinion on things. "We are the city" means to me DIVERSITY..because in every city, there is so much of it. It also means variety, action, and excitement, because there really isn't a dull moment in the city.